Mereside house fire was 'accidental'

Neighbours described the windows 'blowing out' during the ferocious blaze

Neighbours described the windows 'blowing out' during the ferocious blaze

3
Have your say

A fire that tore through a Mereside home was accidental, police have said.

A family of nine, including seven children aged between three and 13, has been left devastated following the blaze in Rusland Avenue yesterday, which killed their pet dog.

The scene of devastation

The scene of devastation

A police spokesman said: "It's believed this fire was due to an electrical fault, which has destroyed the house.

"Luckily, the family were out at work and school at the time, or the result of this incident would have been tragic."

The family's neighbours, friends, and strangers, have been donating clothes and other essential items after they were left with virtually nothing.

Very little, if anything, is expected to be salvaged from inside the mid-terrace home

Very little, if anything, is expected to be salvaged from inside the mid-terrace home