Man rescued from flat fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

Fire crews had to rescue a man who slept through a blaze in his flat, after he had been cooking in the early hours of the morning.

Neighbours called 999 after hearing the smoke alarm from the ground floor flat in Coop Street, Blackpool, at 1.15am.

Officer in charge, Mark Warwick, from South Shore, said: “We saw that the ground floor window was heavily smoked logged.

“We gained entry and found that a man aged in his 20s had fallen asleep on a mattress on the floor, and the smoke alarm hadn’t woken him.

“We woke him up and led him to safety.

“Because he was on the floor, the smoke was above him so he didn’t suffer smoke inhalation.

“We’d like to stress the importance of not cooking late at night.”

There was fire damage to the cooker and light smoke damage to the flat.