A DANGEROUS rapist who preyed on a vulnerable teenage girl as she lay unconscious has been jailed.
John Southwell raped his 18-year-old victim after finding her passed out outside a takeaway - and has shown “no remorse” for his actions.
The 63-year-old, of Bridge Street, Garstang, was yesterday locked up for five years following the terrifying incident in the town last year.
Det Con Stephen Lloyd, from Fleetwood and Wyre CID, said: “It was a distressing attack, he took advantage of her while she was completely comatose and walked her back to his flat.
“In court he said his first thought was for her welfare and he was thinking of getting her a taxi, but he never made any attempt to call a taxi and the first room he took her to was his bedroom which was at the far end of his flat - past the lounge - and he put her straight on the bed.
“From there we don’t know what happened. He undressed her and had sexual intercourse with her but she can’t remember that.
“She remembers waking up in the morning thinking she was at her boyfriend’s.”
The victim left Southwell’s flat following the attack on October 22 and went to her mother’s house, where Det Con Lloyd said she “realised she had been raped”.
The girl reported the incident to police a couple of days later.
Southwell was found guilty of raping her after a trial at Preston Crown Court this summer.
Det Con Lloyd said: “He showed no remorse.
“She was very distressed and is still distressed, and still seeking medical assistance.
“Southwell is clearly a dangerous individual and the community is safer for him being behind bars.”
Southwell was also ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register.