Man killed on walk home

Floral tributes on Oldfield Carr Lane in Poulton following the death of a man killed in a car accident.  PIC BY ROB LOCK'21-9-2012

Floral tributes on Oldfield Carr Lane in Poulton following the death of a man killed in a car accident. PIC BY ROB LOCK'21-9-2012

4
Have your say

A COMMUNITY was today in shock after a man was killed when he was hit by a car on a country lane notorious for dangerous driving.

The 35-year-old, from Poulton, died following the collision in the early hours of yesterday morning, on Oldfield Carr Lane.

The victim had been walking home from a charity duck shoot at Singleton’s Farm, which lies at the end of the lane, when the incident happened.

He was discovered in the road with serious head injuries at around 1am and pronounced dead on arrival at Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

A 38-year-old man, from Poulton, and a 33-year-old man, from Thornton, were arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

Both remain in police custody being questioned by officers.

The incident happened on a stretch of the road which narrows into a single track leading to Singleton’s Farm Residents said dangerous driving has been a problem on the track in the past.

Neighbour David Edge said: “The first I heard was a lot of loud talking and banging of car doors. An ambulance turned up and there was a police car blocking the junction.”

His wife Carol added: “People do rush around this road.”

Chief Insp Pete Simm, from the Lancashire’s force major investigation team, said: “The victim had been walking home down a quiet lane after attending a charity duck shoot nearby.

“We are trying to piece together the sequence of events that led up to this man’s death and a large part of this inquiry is to speak with all the people in attendance at this event, so I would appeal to these people or anyone with any information that could assist with our investigation to come forward and contact police by calling 101.”

FOR FULL STORY SEE SATURDAY’S GAZETTE