A MAN was rushed to hospital with serious injuries after jumping from a night club fire escape.
The owner of Flamingo on Queen Street, Blackpool, spoke of his shock after the incident just after 5am on Sunday.
Eyewitnesses say the man, thought to be in his 30s, jumped from the club’s external fire escape onto an adjacent roof before slipping and plummeting approximately 60ft.
He was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital with head injuries, two suspected broken legs, broken feet and ribs.
Basil Newby, owner of In the Pink Leisure, responsible for Flamingo, described the incident as “extremely traumatic”.
He said: “I saw the man coming out onto the outdoor fire escape and then jump onto the roof of the takeaway next door.
“I think he was just having a laugh trying to see if he could get across the alleyway in between the two buildings.
“He landed on the roof but a couple of tiles slipped off and he plummeted to the ground.
“Myself and other members of staff ran down to him – I was expecting to see a dead body, it was depressing.
“One of my staff was actually sick with shock – it was horrific.
“When we got to him he was conscious and my staff gave him first aid. He kept saying he wanted to go home, but we said he would have to go to the hospital.
“He is extremely lucky to be alive.”
Mr Newby was yesterday visited by police and health and safety officers.
He said: “Officers agreed there was nothing I could have done.
“I can’t block off access to the fire escape because it is a safety requirement.
“It has really upset us though. It was not a pleasant ending to the night, I am just glad he was OK.
“I just hope nothing like that happens again and that the man recovers well in hospital.”
Police confirmed they attended the incident at the town centre club on Sunday morning.
They said no further police investigations will be carried out.
An Ambulance Service spokesman said they were called to the scene where a man was treated for head injuries, two suspected broken legs, broken feet and broken ribs.