Man escapes Blackpool blaze

Firefighters tackle a blaze in the top floor of a property on Buchanan Street in Blackpool
Firefighters tackle a blaze in the top floor of a property on Buchanan Street in Blackpool
0
Have your say

A MAN had to flee after fire swept through his home.

Around a dozen firefighters from Blackpool and South Shore were called to a flat on Buchanan Street at 6.45pm yesterday.

The fire, believed to have been started by an electrical fault, took an hour to contain as the crews used an aerial ladder platform and breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze.

Nobody was injured, but Andrea Mylonas, 71, the owner of the two bedroom property, was inside the flat when the fire broke out.

He told The Gazette: “I was upstairs having my dinner when I heard the fire and decided to get out.

“I was very scared when I realised what was happening and got outside as soon as possible.

“The other person who used to live in there moved out last week and I’m not sure where I’ll be able to stay now.

“I haven’t been allowed into the flat, so I’m not sure what has gone.”

Eyewitness Rebecca France, 16, of Buchanan Street, said she feared the fire would spread to her neighbouring property. She added: “The top floor window smashed and fell on top of a car outside and when I saw it I thought it would spread to my house.

“I didn’t know what was inside but thought it might explode because there was so much smoke.”

Watch manager Pat Thompson said: “While travelling to the incident crews could see large volumes of smoke issuing from the vicinity of the fire and upon arrival were faced with a three-storey terraced property with the

second floor well alight.

“Properties either side was evacuated and the area was quickly sealed off by police.

“The fire spread to the roof void and the aerial appliance from Blackpool Station was mobilised to assist.

“The male occupant of the premises had escaped and called the Fire Service after discovering the fire in a utility room within his flat.

“Damage to the premises was severe and the occupant was unable to remain there overnight.”

Officer Thompson said the cause of the fire was not thought to be suspicious.