A YOUNG man died aged just 23 after taking heroin and drinking, an inquest heard.
Gareth David Froggatt, of Ashworth Court, Blackpool, died on April 6, at Victoria Hospital.
Blackpool Coroner’s Court heard police had gone to Munster Avenue, in the resort, after an ambulance was called on April 1, at around 2pm. The caller said Mr Froggatt had stopped breathing and it was thought he may have taken a heroin overdose.
Mr Froggatt was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital, but later died.
Dr Dariusz Golka, consultant pathologist, said the cause of death was adult respiratory distress syndrome, caused by heroin and alcohol poisoning. He said there was not a “huge amount” of heroin in Mr Froggatt’s system. But the combination of heroin and alcohol could have been the crucial factor.
Coroner Anne Hind, recording a verdict of death by misadventure, said: “Unfortunately, despite coming from a good family, he went down a slippery slope. If he’d been a regular drug user, it would probably not have killed him. The problem was he was drinking heavily.”