BLACKPOOL'S massage parlours are the latest target in a drive to rid the resort of sleaze.
Police and trading standards officers targeted five parlours – two of which have been closed – after reports they were being used as brothels.
The Gazette understands two foreign nationals were among the suspected call girls working there.
The venues targeted were in Caunce Street and Church Street in the town centre, but cannot be named at this stage due to possible future prosecutions.
Tim Coglan, head of quality standards at Blackpool Council, said: "This was an operation between ourselves and the police, targeting all forms of illegality in the massage parlour sector.
"These were massage parlours reported to be a front for prostitution. There were also other related alleged offences in connection with book-keeping, smoking on premises and health and safety breaches.
"As a result investigations are ongoing with a view to instigating proceedings. Two premises have had health and safety prohibition notices issued and have been closed down and a number voluntarily closed."
Up to four girls were found to be selling sex at some of the premises – in breach of strict regulations.
Currently only one prostitute can legally offer paid sex.
The raids, which took place last Friday, were the first by police and licensing enforcement officers to target massage parlours. The health and safety breaches were due to electrical faults.
Blackpool Council leader, Coun Peter Callow, said the crackdown was the latest stage of the council's campaign to clean up the town.
He said: "These massage parlours have been operating for a long time on the main thoroughfare with brightly lit signs, and people find this offensive.
"This administration was elected to clean up the town and we're determined to do that.
"We believe this is what the public of Blackpool wants.
"We are concerned that we do not want to drive the girls onto the streets because that would be even worse and we are conscious they would be in grave danger. It's a balancing act.
"We know nationally there have been cases where foreign girls have been abducted and sold into prostitution and we're concerned that should not be happening in Blackpool."
Already the council has introduced a policy to restrict the number of lap-dancing clubs and the sale of sleazy merchandise such as blow-up dolls from stalls. It has also launched a code of conduct urging stag and hen parties to tone down their behaviour.
Last week the council ordered the Wildcats lap-dancing club in Clifton Street to close for four weeks after hearing that physical contact had been allowed to take place between customers and performers.
Almost Done!
By registering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions of the website.