A proud village stood together to dedicate its first war memorial - 100 years after the Great War began.
People in Staining have never had a permanent structure to honour their fighting men, some of whom never returned from the horrors of the trenches.
Parish councillors in Staining had been campaigning for a memorial to be erected in the village since last year after its chairman Coun Malcolm Hyland began a project to resurrect the idea, which was first discussed by his predecessors back in 1919.
Coun John Singleton, who represents the village on Fylde Council, said: “People will now be able to pay their respects in their own village.
“It’s only right being 100 years that we commemorate it in such a way.
“We’ve done quite a bit in arranging for funding and grants to get a monument in place.”
A total of 23 men from the parish - which also included parts of Hardhorn (now part of Poulton), Weeton and eastern Blackpool at the time - went off to fight in the First World War.
Seven were killed in the conflict, which lasted from 1914 to 1918, at Ypres, Arras and in Flanders.
Invited guests to Sunday’s ceremony at Jubilee Gardens, off Chain Lane, included Fylde MP Mark Menzies, the Mayor of Fylde Coun Linda Nulty and her consort Richard Nulty, the Veterans Association and the Royal British Legion.
Adding to the occasion were the standard bearers of the Royal British Legion and Bob Wareham who performed the Last Post.
The Mayor of Fylde dedicated the memorial with the occasion overseen by the vicar of St Luke’s, the Reverend Peter Lillicrap.
Coun Hyland read out each name on the memorial and pupils from Staining School placed a cross on the memorial for each of those remembered.
The memorial (pictured left) was funded by Brent Stevenson Memorials of Blackburn and grants from Lancashire County Council and Staining Parish Council.
The new monument means the village will now be able to hold an annual Remembrance Sunday service of its own to commemorate those lost in conflict.
A comment in the minutes of a Hardhorn with Newton Parish Council meeting, held on January 30, 1919, noted that a public meeting would be held to discuss the matter, but nothing else was found.