DCSIMG

Diabetic died after a ‘rare’ drug reaction

Blackpool Victoria Hospital

Blackpool Victoria Hospital

A tourist who came to Blackpool for a Christmas treat collapsed and died from a rare complication connected to her diabetes.

Margaret Mate, of Durants Road, Middlesex had been staying at the Norbreck Castle during her short visit with her sister-in-law.

But after a couple of days the 76-year-old started to suffer mild symptoms such as a cough and increased urination.

One evening after finishing their evening meal the pair decided to go back to their bedroom.

But following a trip to the bathroom Mrs Mate collapsed.

Paramedics were called and she was taken to Blackpool’s Victoria Hospital but died a short time later.

A post-mortem examination found she had died from Metformin toxicity.

Mrs Mate had been taking Metformin tablets to control her diabetes but the medication had built up in her system causing a cardiac arrest.

Blackpool’s deputy coroner Christopher Beverley said the this was a rare cause of death but hoped it would encourage other diabetics taking Metaformin to see a doctor if they were feeling under the weather.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page