BOSSES at Blackpool Pleasure Beach are predicting a bright future – despite suffering massive multi-million pound losses.
Accounts just published showed the historic fun park made losses of almost 4m in the year to April 5 2009.
But management at the Pleasure Beach – which introduced a controversial 5 admission charge last year – says it is on track to turn the attraction's fortunes around.
Poor weather and the recession have been blamed for the 2008 losses which totalled 3.9m, and were in stark comparison to profits of 4m the previous year.
Since 2008, a review of operations at the park has been held and a return to profit is expected this year after savings of 3.5m were identified.
The profit in the previous year was boosted by asset sales.
The Big Blue hotel enjoyed improved sales and profitability.
A Pleasure Beach spokesman said: "Following a well-publicised disappointing season in 2008, Pleasure Beach introduced a new business model.
"This has been rigidly adhered to through these tough economic times and our new pricing policy has delivered a significant turnaround in business performance.
"We are looking forward to a successful 2010 season which starts on Saturday February 13 to coincide with the start of the February half term and Blackpool's Showzam festival."
The 5 admission charge was introduced in February 2009.
There was no Hot Ice show or circus-themed Forbidden throughout last year.
For more on this story, see Tuesday's Gazette.