Lives put at risk by ‘filthy’ takeaway

Chicken in a sink
Chicken in a sink
0
Have your say

A TAKEAWAY owner who put lives at risk by operating in filthy premises is set to be prosecuted for the third time.

Muhaiminul Choudhury was ordered to shut down Bengal Spice, on Central Drive, when hygiene chiefs raided the premises in October.

Rice left out

Rice left out

They found a catalogue of appalling practices, including raw chicken defrosting in a dirty sink, a putrid smell coming from a blocked drain and a pool of foul water around a downstairs toilet.

Choudury, 42, and his 35-year-old wife Rushna, of Lune Grove, Blackpool, each admitted seven offences of breaching food hygiene laws.

Mr Choudhury has two previous convictions for food hygiene offences and will be sentenced, along with his wife, at Preston Crown Court on May 24.

Carolyn Bland, food control manager for Blackpool Council, said: “There is no doubt somebody could have been taken seriously ill through eating the food from this takeaway.

Dial-A-Curry on Central Drive

Dial-A-Curry on Central Drive

“The blocked drain was a huge cause for concern and the foul smell hit you as soon as you opened the basement door.

“The chicken in the sink risked cross contamination because if the water splashed onto other surfaces, it would have spread bacteria around.

“It is absolutely unacceptable for business owners to be risking the health in the public in this way.

“It is especially frustrating because one of the owners has previous convictions.

“If a young child, an elderly person or someone with immunity problems had eaten here, it could have caused very serious health problems and potentially put their lives at risk.”

The owners agreed to voluntarily close the takeaway on the night of the inspection.

Inspectors also found mouldy seals on a chest freezer, rubbish in the basement including a mattress, dirt on the kitchen wall, floor and shelves, plus an accumulation of grease on the cooker top and ventilation filters.

The Choudury’s were also unable to provide required data for the food safety management system and temperature records.

The couple appeared before Blackpool Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

Lynda Bennett, prosecuting for Blackpool Council, asked for the case to be sentenced at crown court in view of the history of unhygienic conditions at the curry house.

John McLaren, defending, said it was the first time Mrs Choudhury had taken control as the manager and owner of the premises – positions previously occupied by her husband.

He claimed part of the Choudhury’s problem was the poor nature and condition of the restaurant when they purchased it.

The takeaway was able to re-open the next day, however, after the premises were thoroughly cleaned and the drains unblocked.

It now operates under the name Dial A Curry.