Lily-Mae has va va voom!

Lily-Mae Singleton
Lily-Mae Singleton
Have your say

BABY Lily-Mae Singleton gave her mum a bit of a surprise when she made a sudden appearance – in a Renault Clio.

Mum Emma Singleton was on her way to hospital with her husband Nick and her mum Nicky Havill because she was being violently sick.

But no-one expected that minutes after piling into the car, the newborn would arrive four days earlier than expected in the passenger seat outside CSL furniture store in Marton.

Emma, 24, was going to hospital for a check-up after falling ill last Monday.

She said she got her first pain about 10 minutes before getting into the car in the early hours of last Tuesday morning, and the baby was born 40 minutes later, en route to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

She said: “It was a shock. As soon as I needed to push I knew that’s what I had to do, the adrenaline took over.

“It was two pushes and she was here. I didn’t think it was going to be that quick but she’s perfect.

“Everything’s going really well and everything’s just about back to normal.”

Lily-Mae was due on December 9 but made her dramatic entrance on December 5.

And once the baby’s temperature had settled down, the happy parents were allowed to take their new-born home the following day.

Emma’s mum Nicky was in the back seat, and said Lily-Mae’s birth was a “freaky moment”.

She added: “It was traumatic. I can’t bear to think about it.

“All she kept saying was how uncomfortable she was, and we were just getting to the Oxford Square junction when she said she needed to push.

“I thought it would be fine, there was still a long way to go yet. There was another push and she said ‘she’s here’.

“I told her to stop being stupid. Then we heard the baby cry.”

Nicky, of Queensway, St Annes, said Nick pulled the car over while she made sure the baby’s cord wasn’t around her neck, then she put her coat over her until the family made it to A&E at The Vic.

The 45-year-old said: “It was a surreal, shocking moment, I was petrified.”

Emma, who lives in St Annes and also has a five-year-old daughter, Holly, said husband Nick was nervous at the time, but the family had returned to normal with their new arrival.