Laptop started family house fire

Fire crews
Fire crews
0
Have your say

FIRE officers now believe a house fire was stared by a laptop computer.

Fire investigators previously thought the blaze – on Belgrave Road, South Shore – had been started by a discarded cigarette.

No one was in the building at the time, around 5pm on Wednesday, but the family’s cat was killed in the blaze.

Investigating officer Peter Langley from South Shoe Fire Station said: “We’re putting the fire down to a laptop computer that was on the arm of a chair.

“We only really look at whether the fire was stated by accident or deliberately.

“There’s no way this was in any way deliberate – it was an accident

“We thought the fire could have been down to a discarded cigarette but after further investigations, there is a good chance it could have been down to the computer so we are happy to say that it was that.

“What’s important is that is was accidental – there’s no way it could have been done on purpose. It’s sad for the family.”