Lap dancers seen touching punters

Councillors refused to renew Eden's Sexual Entertainment Venue licence after lap dancers were caught touching customers. Below: Electrical faults at the club.
Councillors refused to renew Eden's Sexual Entertainment Venue licence after lap dancers were caught touching customers. Below: Electrical faults at the club.
0
Have your say

Blackpool lap dancers at a town centre club have been caught on CCTV breaching licence conditions by getting too close and personal with customers.

Footage from cameras at Eden, on the Promenade, showed a number of dancers sitting on customers’ laps and hugging them, breaking a condition stipulating dancers will not go within 12 inches of punters during a private dance.

Electical fault at Eden, Promenade, Blackpool.

Electical fault at Eden, Promenade, Blackpool.

The images were discovered as Blackpool Council officers were investigating another matter at the club.

Speaking on behalf of licensee John Sayers, Josef Cannon said: “I am not going to deny the 12-inch rule has been breached.

“It does happen, but it is the job of the operator to try and put in place the best systems that they can to prevent this from happening.

“There are 23 dancers at Eden, and each have signed a code of conduct and are trained in how to dance without touching.”

Electical fault at Eden, Promenade, Blackpool.

Electical fault at Eden, Promenade, Blackpool.

He added: “This was definitely a blip.” Mr Cannon said the dancers responsible had been fined for touching customers.

But, representing the council and Lancashire Police, Richard Williams said: “To say that is just a blip is nonsense.

“It is a criminal offence to breach a licence, with a fine of up to £20,000. To try and brush that under the carpet, quite frankly, I am astounded.”

The committee refused to renew the venue licence. The club can appeal.

A report from the committee said: “CCTV (footage) very clearly shows a gross breach of the condition relating to no touching.”

Electric fault could have led to fire

Blackpool Council officers also found a series of serious electrical faults at Eden, including plug sockets hanging from walls.

Committee chairman Coun Norman Hardy said: “Just around the corner from this premises is Walkabout which unfortunately is currently closed due to an electrical fire, so as far as I am concerned, this really does worry me.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.