DCSIMG

Kitchen fire kills family dog

editorial image

editorial image

Fire safety precautions taken by a family saved their home from being engulfed by a blaze but tragically claimed the life of a pet dog.

Fire engines from Bispham and Blackpool fire stations were called to a home in Bispham at 4.55pm on Saturday, where a tumble dryer sparked a blaze in the kitchen.

Neighbours alerted emergency crews after seeing smoke billowing from the property on Shaftesbury Avenue, while the occupants were out.

The blaze, which damaged the tumble dryer and some kitchen appliances and units, was stopped from spreading through the property as internal doors had been left closed.

But a King Charles spaniel was overcome by smoke from flames in the kitchen.

Crew manager Paul Jennings, from Bispham Fire Station, said: “Internal doors had been closed which prevented the fire from spreading through the home.

“We would remind people to maintain any electrical goods, close internal doors and have a working fire alarm.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page