A HOLIDAYMAKER is suing Blackpool Council after suffering severe head injuries when he allegedly slipped on steps covered in algae.
Chris Brown, 55, was walking his dog on the newly refurbished steps next to South Pier, when he says he lost his footing.
He was left unconscious by the fall and fractured his skull and eye socket when he landed head-first on the steps.
Mr Brown, who is still having operations in his home town of Leek in Staffordshire, told The Gazette: “The tide had just gone out and I was walking down the steps and the next thing I know I’m waking up with a crowd around me.
“It was pretty frightening because I could tell I had suffered a head injury and I couldn’t see anything.
“When the algae is wet it’s transparent and you can’t see it.
“Even the fire crews trying to rescue me had slipped over trying to get me off the steps.”
The care worker, who was staying at Marton Mere Caravan Park, claims there was nothing to warn people of algae on the steps.
He is now pursuing legal advice to claim compensation for the money he has lost since he was forced to take sick leave from work due to his injuries.
He added: “I recently went back to take pictures of the steps and I couldn’t believe how dangerous they were looking down on them from the Pier. I was amazed they haven’t got any warning signs up. There were signs to say not to go on the steps when the tide is in, but that is common sense.
“The way this front has been done is potentially lethal.”
A spokeswoman for Blackpool Council said: “We can confirm Mr Brown has submitted a claim which is currently being looked at by our legal team.
“It would inappropriate to comment further while this process is still ongoing.”