“I won’t do it again. I knew the risks and I thought I’d be alright.”
Those were the words of a husband who turned himself into a human fireball by pouring petrol on a bonfire.
His message has been shared by the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service today in a bid to make people think, and stay safe, on Bonfire Night on Saturday.
The man, named only as Michael, was speaking from his Hornby home a week after offering to help dispose of gardening waste.
He said he expected the pile of wood to go up in flames, but instead flames shot in his face.
Both he and his wife Helen were blown off their feet, with Michael left with bad burns on his arms, as well as injuries to his face.
He warned: “It’s not worth it. It could have been a lot worse.
“I could have been dead. I have been lucky.”
Watch the video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmb4MPsVPAc&feature=youtu.be