AN investigation is under way today after the third devastating fire at a warehouse.
More than 40 firefighters were called to tackle the inferno at Wyre Waste on Jameson Road, Fleetwood, just before 5pm yesterday.
Residents were warned to keep their windows closed during the blaze as palls of toxic smoke were sent across Fleetwood and Over Wyre.
Eight crews from Blackpool, Fleetwood, Bispham, Blackburn and a special high volume water pump from Burnley were drafted in.
Fire chiefs believe the fire at the warehouse, which is used to store household waste, could burn for up to five days.
It is the third blaze at the site which was left derelict by a suspected arson attack in December 2009 and a second blaze in April 2010.
Watch manager Ian Alder said officers could not enter the building as it was an “aluminium shed” which could collapse at any time.
He said: “Our main concern was the amount of plastic burning inside the building which was causing a lot of toxic smoke to drift Over Wyre.
“We advised people in the area to close all doors and windows, especially people with conditions such as asthma.
“When we arrived we assessed the situation and really had two choices, to allow the fire to burn out naturally or put it out.
“The problem we have is the structure is not safe to enter, it is basically an aluminium shed which is now twisted and burnt and the roof could collapse at any point. It is more or less destroyed.
Four engines were left on site overnight to monitor the situation.
Watch manager Alder added: “It could take up to five days to extinguish completely.
“There have been two previous fires at the site in recent years. I think it took three days to burn on one occasion and 10 on another.
“The building was not in use for some time but I think the owners had just had it rebuilt.
“Once we can get inside we can fully assess the damage and establish a cause.”