Hotel fined over filthy kitchen

Grime found by council inspectors in the kitchen of the Residence Hotel in Blackpool

Grime found by council inspectors in the kitchen of the Residence Hotel in Blackpool

5
Have your say

A hotelier has been fined £1,320 for breaching food hygiene rules after council inspectors found dog hairs and grease scattered around his property’s kitchen.

Michael Hoyle, 58, of the Residence Hotel on Hornby Road, Blackpool, admitted three offences when he appeared before Blackpool magistrates.

The court was told council officers found dog hairs, dirt and grease scattered around the hotel’s kitchen, along with badly-maintained flooring and a wash basin without any hand soap, when they visited the premises last November.

The conviction came after Mr Hoyle had already been served with hygiene improvement notices in 2012.

Mr Hoyle said he was now in the process of refurbishing the kitchen and hoped to secure a good hygiene rating.

Coun Gillian Campbell, deputy leader of Blackpool Council, said: “This is another successful prosecution that shows food businesses how important it is to make sure they keep their kitchen hygienic and clean.

“In this case, Mr Hoyle had already been handed an improvement notice by our food control officers but when we revisited the premises it still wasn’t up to scratch.

“That’s not good enough and in those circumstances we will prosecute.

“If you run a business that serves food then you have both a legal and a moral duty to keep your kitchen clean and hygienic. There are no ifs, buts or shortcuts and anybody who tries to get away with breaking the law will be taken to court by us.

“In these cases it is worth reminding people that the vast majority of hotels and eateries in Blackpool are clean and up to a high standard – but if people fall foul of the hygiene laws then we not hesitate to take them to task.”

Following the hearing, Mr Hoyle said he had been in the middle of renovations when the hygiene inspectors called.

He said: “On the day of the visit, I was part way through taking the floor up to replace it.

“The cooker had been glued down and it was glue, not grease, in the kitchen.

“We are trying to improve the business and are in the process of replacing the whole of the kitchen including all new units.

“We are going to ask the food hygiene officers to reinspect us and are hoping to get a five star rating.”