Hotel boilers risked blast

Blackpool Magistrates Court

Blackpool Magistrates Court

0
Have your say

Boilers installed at a hotel put the lives of guests and staff at risk and could have caused an explosion, a court has heard.

The heating system at The Glendower Hotel, on North Promenade, could have exposed people to possible explosion, fire or poisoning by carbon monoxide gas when they were installed at the St Annes building.

David Hanmer, 68, of Magdalen Road, Anchorsholme, pleaded guilty to breaching two health and safety laws.

Blackpool Magistrates Court was told Hanmer was manager for the plumbing side of North West Mechanicals Limited, of Chapel Street, Poulton, when they were fitted.

Peter Hayes, prosecuting for the Health and Safety Executive, said between November 2009 and March 2010 the company was employed to install two commercial gas boilers at The Glendower Hotel.

A year later when the boilers were having their annual check and service they were found to be faulty.

The prosecutor said: “The boilers were marked at risk, meaning they were considered in future to be a danger to life and property.”

Mr Hayes added that in 2008 Hanmer and the company had been removed from the CORGI gas safe registered installers because of concerns over another of their installations and they had only been registered for domestic installations, not commercial.

While they were off the CORGI register they bid for and got the contract to install the boilers at The Glendower Hotel.

Hanmer’s case was adjourned to August 28 for sentence by magistrates.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.