Horror fall at Fylde death trap

Firefighters at Fylde Farm, Poulton le Fylde.
Firefighters at Fylde Farm, Poulton le Fylde.

TEENAGERS have again been warned to stay away from a Fylde coast danger spot after a boy was seriously injured in a horror fall.

Firefighters, paramedics and police were called to the notorious Fylde Farm, on Normoss Road, near Poulton, last night after two teenage boys plunged through a 12ft hole in the roof.

The youngsters had been playing in the roof space above the first floor of the former Dales secure unit building when the accident happened at around 6.30pm.

One of the boys, a 15-year-old, suffered a serious leg injury and had to be winched free from the confined space after what firefighters described as a “lucky escape“.

Watch manager Ian Richards, from Blackpool fire station, said: “There was an opening that led down to a void into the ground floor. It was dark in there, they were messing about and they would not have seen the hole.

“We had to use a triple extension ladder to get down to them and it’s quite a confined space so we could only get a couple of people down there. The injured boy was treated in the hole and an inflatable splint was applied to his leg and it took quite a few firefighters to get him out.

“The other lad managed to climb out and they were extremely lucky.

“There was a lot of metal work sticking out and they could quite easily have broken their necks, backs or been seriously injured.”

The injured boy was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital with what is believed to be a dislocated leg.

Firefighters have been repeatedly called to the derelict site - which used to be the home of the Emmanuel Christian School - to deal with arsons and incidents involving youngsters.

And now they are warning local children and their parents someone will be killed if they don’t stay away from the site.

Mr Richards added: “Fylde Farm has caused us a problem for a number of years.

“We want to warn people to stay away and for adults to warn their children to stay away.

“The buildings are derelict and extremely dangerous and it’s only a matter of time before somebody gets seriously injured.

“The police are patrolling the site and they arrested five people yesterday and moved a further 21 on so kids are not heeding the warnings.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.