The wife of a grandfather-of-two who collapsed in the street after suffering a massive heart attack has praised quick-thinking members of the public for saving her husband’s life.
Hazel Turner said her husband Dave would almost certainly have died had it not been for the “quick reaction and community spirit” from people working nearby.
Mr Turner, 74, was walking into Knott End last week when he collapsed outside the post office, on Lancaster Road.
Workers in nearby businesses rushed to help him and used a defibrillator – which gives the heart an electric shock – to keep Mr Turner alive until the ambulance crew arrived.
Now Mrs Turner, 66, of Pilling Lane, says she believes there should be defibrillators in every area.
She said: “The defibrillator, quick reaction and community spirit from the people in Knott End saved my husband’s life.
“The heart attack was so bad that, had the defibrillator and people not been there to help, he would not have survived.
“It’s such a shock, it’s been quite traumatic. I think it should be compulsory to have a defibrillator in every area.”
When Lyn Bradley, 52, who runs the Knott End and Social Squash Club with her partner Stephen Sutcliffe, spotted the commotion on the street, she rushed over with the venue’s defibrillator.
She said: “We got one installed a couple of years ago, and got training on how to use it.
“It was the first time we’d used it. I noticed someone had passed out, and there were a few people doing compressions.
“A passing patient transfer vehicle had been flagged down, but they needed a defibrillator.
“We put the pads on and I shocked him three times and then the ambulance arrived.
“It was a joint effort. I’m just so grateful we had one. If we hadn’t have got one then he would have died. It’s definitely worth investing in one.”
Mr Turner, a retired police officer who will celebrate his 74th birthday today, collapsed around 9am on Tuesday, December 2.
He is now recovering in Blackpool Victoria Hospital, where he is due to undergo a triple heart by-pass.
Mrs Turner added: “He’s fit, active, he doesn’t smoke or drink and he swims three or four times a week.
“He’s never ill, but the doctors have said it’s due to a diseased heart.
“I’d like to say a great thanks to everyone who helped.
“The care my husband has received while in Blackpool Victoria Hospital is excellent. The staff are very kind and thoughtful.”
Chris Hyde, community resuscitation development officer for North West Ambulance Service, arranged for the defibrillator to be fitted at the Knott End and Social Squash Club.
The machines retail at about £1,600, but for anyone interested in having one installed, he can provide a 50 per cent discount.
He said: “The defibrillator saved Mr Turner’s life, without a doubt.
“Without it being used, he would have most certainly died. They are the most important thing that anyone can ever have. You are more likely to use a defibrillator than a fire extinguisher.
“For every one minute someone is in cardiac arrest, their chances of survival diminish up to 15 per cent.
“If CPR and a defibrillator are used in the first three to four minutes, chances of survival are up to 80 per cent.”