When a Blackpool decorator collapsed with severe chest pains, he could never have imagined just how lucky he would be.
For when Malcolm Squires, 61, of Peter Street, Blackpool, began feeling ill two weeks ago, he was in the entrance of Blackpool Victoria Hospital – close to a newly installed defibrillator.
Despite suffering a cardiac arrest, quick-thinking medical staff were on hand to use the device to save his life by shocking his heart back into rhythm.
This week Mr Squires returned to the hospital to thank his lifesavers – including resuscitation officer Hannah Johnston and North West Ambulance Service paramedic, James Gorrie.
Mr Squires, told The Gazette he would not be here today without their help.
He added: “I owe my life to these people it’s as simple as that. I came to the hospital because I had been feeling a few chest pains ironically. I remember just getting off the bus and nothing after that until I came round.
“The people that helped me were absolutely amazing and I can’t speak highly enough about them, they were brilliant. If it wasn’t for them I wouldn’t be here.”
A defibrillator helps to deliver an electrical shock to stop the irregular rhythm and allow the heart’s natural pacemaker to restart the natural rhythm.
Paramedic, James Gorrie, said: “Everyone came together as a team to support him and we are delighted to see him looking so well so soon.”
Mr Squires gave a bouquet of flowers to Miss Johnston and said he was indebted to the team’s actions.
He added: “I owe my life to them.
“The young girl, Miss Johnston, got my heart going again.
“I got her a big bunch of flowers.
“She seemed a little surprised but she more than deserved them.”
Defibrillator was ‘perfectly placed’ to help save Malcolm’s life
Head of resuscitation at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Anthony Freestone. said: “I am really proud of my team and the paramedics who went to help Malcolm.
“They were so professional and to see Malcolm look so well less than a week after his cardiac arrest is amazing.
“This incident showed that every second counts in a cardiac arrest situation. The defibrillator was perfectly placed in the main entrance and I have no doubt that without it Malcolm’s outcome would not have been so positive.
“We have recently placed three defibrillators in key points around the hospital thanks to the support of our Board of Directors and our charity, Blue Skies Hospital Fund, and their support has undoubtedly saved a life.”