Stroke funding woe sparks fear for the future

Les Dennis and Stroke Association staff and survivors celebrating Make May Purple last year
Les Dennis and Stroke Association staff and survivors celebrating Make May Purple last year
0
Have your say

Vital funding to help stroke survivors and their loved ones could be axed, it was feared.

The Stroke Association said Blackpool Council was ‘considering ceasing the funding’ for its Life After Stroke’ service – a move it said could affect hundreds of people.

The charity said it was told in December funding could be stopped from April 1, which means its team of staff would drop from two to one.

A final decision on the £26,000-a-year funding is expected to be made at a council executive meeting in 10 days time, on Thursday, February 23, at the town hall.

But town hall bosses were understood to be yesterday trying to find money to continue paying for the service.

Chris Larkin, the association’s regional director for the North West, said he was ‘very disappointed’ at the proposal.

He said: “Stroke is one of the largest causes of disability and a third of all stroke survivors need help with everyday tasks. Through our vital services, around 200 stroke survivors each year in Blackpool have received practical advice, emotional help and one to one support to help ensure they can make their best possible recovery.

“For a lot of stroke survivors in the area, the support received has been a lifeline and has given them hope for the future.

“Although we understand and recognise the incredibly difficult decisions being made by Blackpool Council, ceasing this service will leave some of the most vulnerable local people without the support that they desperately need.”

Coun Amy Cross, cabinet member for reducing health inequalities, said: “We are working with the Stroke Association to find a way forward.”