Probe into Blackpool piercing clinic

Owner James Woods says he has had no complaints.

Owner James Woods says he has had no complaints.

0
Have your say

Health chiefs have raised concerns about a body piercing clinic in Blackpool which they say continued to operate despite having no electricity.

Health chiefs have raised concerns about Blackpool Body Piercing Clinic on Springfield Road which continued to operate despite having no electricity.

Blackpool Council and Public Health England are urging people to contact their doctors amid fears they may be at risk of infection because without power, a steriliser could not be used on the premises.

But the clinic’s owner James Woods today denied any wrong-doing.

He said: “The electricity was cut off while I set up a payment plan with my supplier, but at no time did I put any client at risk.

“I was using an autoclave, which is used to sterilise all my piercing tools, before I started work and the rest of my equipment is disposable.

“I have worked as a body piercer for 28 years without any complaints, and have campaigned for more legislation for body piercing, so I am very upset the council is making these claims against me.”

Blackpool Council ordered the business to close until electricity was put back on.

Dr Arif Rajpura, Blackpool Council’s director of public health, said: “As a result of these concerns we believe there may be a risk of infection to those people who have been pierced since the disconnection on August 13.

“We are therefore urging these people to call 01257 246491 to have a consultation with an expert from Public Health England.

“They will then be asked to visit their GP to be checked over.”

Are you affected? How to get help and advice

Anyone who has had a piercing at Blackpool Body Piercing Clinic since August 13 is urged to call 01257 246 491 for a consultation.

The council is now pursing enforcement action against Mr Woods.

Dr Rajpura added: “We have also attempted to use records from the premises to contact people directly via text message.

“I would stress this is a precautionary measure, however, it is important that people heed this advice and take a proactive approach to looking after their health.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.