DCSIMG

Sunbed users warned to look for cancer

Skin care specialist nurse Heather Baines

Skin care specialist nurse Heather Baines

Skin care specialists at Blackpool Victoria Hospital are urging young people who use sunbeds to look out for the signs of skin cancer.

The warning comes after Blackpool Council found more than 70 per cent of tanning salons were exposed as having unsafe bulbs which emitted higher than recommended levels of potentially harmful UV light.

Heather Baines, Skin Cancer Clinical Nurse Specialist at Blackpool Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, said: “We have seen a 10 per cent increase in skin cancers year on year with more than 1,000 skin cancers diagnosed each year. Among those we have seen a definite increase of cases in younger people.

“Sunbeds and lamps can be more dangerous than natural sunlight because they use a concentrated source of ultraviolet (UV) radiation. UV radiation can increase your risk of developing melanomas – the most dangerous type of skin cancer.”

The most common sign of melanoma is the appearance of a new mole or a change in an existing mole.

Health experts said any concerns should be reported to doctors as soon as possible.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page