DCSIMG

Heroin user died of leg infection

Blackpool Victoria Hospital

Blackpool Victoria Hospital

A Latvian man who was living in Blackpool died from blood poisoning caused by an infection developed by injecting heroin, an inquest heard.

Aleksands Rotmistrenko died at Blackpool Victoria Hospital on October 28 last year.

Mr Rotmistrenko, 29, was seeking help from Blackpool’s Substance Misuse Service because, at his worst, he was using three to four bags of heroin a day.

The inquest heard he was also a heavy drinker.

Blackpool and Fylde Coroner Alan Wilson heard during the hearing that sometime after September 2012 Mr Rotmistrenko, a labourer of Dickson Road, Blackpool, complained of inflammation to his legs and was given antibiotics by his GP.

He was later admitted to Blackpool Victoria Hospital suffering from blood poisoning and died.

A post mortem examination which was then carried out found an area at the top of Mr Rotmistrenko’s thigh was discoloured and black, indicating severe infection, the hearing was told.

Recording a narrative verdict, Mr Wilson said: “This man had a history of intravenous drug use and this has caused some significant difficulties.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page