Hotel staff were today hailed heroes after saving a man’s life when he twice stopped breathing.
Joy Macwilliam said she fears her husband Bernard would not have survived if employees from the Park House Hotel in Blackpool had not rushed to his aid after he suffered a heart attack.
The 78-year-old had just returned to the Promenade hotel, where he was staying, following a walk when he felt chest pains and collapsed in the lounge.
His wife was miles away on a coach trip and only heard about her husband’s ordeal when she arrived back.
Mrs Macwilliam, 76, said: “I kissed him goodbye in the morning when I went on my coach trip and that was it.
“I just can’t believe what’s happened.
“I thought the staff were marvellous and I’m 100 per cent grateful to the hotel.
“They are definitely heroes and saved his life.
“He was given CPR as he stopped breathing twice.
“I was told by the hospital if he had been at home, or somewhere with nobody around, he wouldn’t have survived.”
The couple, from Leyland, have been visiting the resort and staying at the North Promenade hotel for the last decade.
The hotel’s general manager John Kay and receptionist Christine Greenhalgh rushed to help Mr Macwilliam after he collapsed on last week.
Mr Kay, 48, said he acted without thinking when he saw Mr Macwilliam was in trouble.
He said: “We were there straight away and put him in the recovery position but we knew it wasn’t going to be good enough and we would have to work on him.
“The 999 operator was absolutely amazing and kept us all calm and told us what to do.
“The last thing I remember when I was working on him was someone shouting I was on 200 compressions.
“I remember from my training that you have to go up to 600, but the staff were brilliant and fortunately he is still with us.
Mr Macwilliam is now recovering in Blackpool Victoria Hospital.
He is due to have an operation on Thursday after the original date of last Friday was postponed because he was suffering from a chest infection.
Mrs Macwilliam, 76, added: “We went on holiday and on the Monday night he was the same old Bernard – dancing around and telling jokes.
“I’m still shocked by it all and I’m not my normal self, but I’m starting to relax the more I go and see Bernard.
“If he had been at home and I had to call 999 he would’ve died because I wouldn’t have any idea what to do.
“Thankfully the hotel staff knew exactly what they were doing.”
Mr Kay 48, says there are always trained first aiders on duty at the hotel.
He added: “We do all of this training in the hotel and it’s amazing that it comes to you when you have to use it.”