THERE are just two weeks to go to nominate your health hero.
The Best of Health Awards closing date is fast approaching on April 30. And to make life easier, you can now nominate using the form below.
The Gazette’s annual Best of Health Awards aims to celebrate and recognise those who really go above and beyond the call of duty in healthcare.
We are looking for stories of those who work tirelessly to help improve or take care of health of others – whether they are in a high profile role such as a consultant who performs life-saving surgery or an occupational therapist who made a real difference to a patient’s life at home or maybe even a neighbour who helps care for elderly people nearby by doing their shopping, making their tea and checking they are not lonely.
Those who nominate will be in with a chance of winning a free day pass to Velocity health and fitness club at the De Vere Village Heron’s Reach.
YOUR LIST OF THE BEST OF HEALTH CATEGORIES:
• Doctorof the Year, sponsored by Oberyn
For the GP, family doctor, hospital doctor, registrar or consultant, from the NHS or the private sector, who goes above and beyond the call of duty.
• Midwife of the Year, sponsored by the NHS Stop Smoking Service
For the midwife who works for the hospital trust, in the community or in the private sector, who looks after mums-to-be and their babies to their best of their ability.
• Dentist of the Year, sponsored by Roberts & Quinn registered opticians
For the dentist, either NHS or in the private sector, who demonstrates excellence in care and service, putting patients first at all times.
• Physical Therapist of the Year
For the physiotherapist, chiropractor or osteopath who provides nothing but the highest quality care for patients, exceeding expectations.
• Unsung Hero, sponsored by Specsavers
For the person who has consistently gone that extra mile to provide the best for patients.
• Childcare Award
For the person who provides excellence in care for children – for instance, nursery nurses, paediatric doctors and care workers.
• Nurse of the Year, sponsored by Majestic Care Home
For the nurse, who works for the hospital trust, in the community, in a GP surgery, in the NHS or in the private sector, who rises above expectations in their care for patients.
• Elderly Welfare Award, sponsored by Whitworth’s Chemist
For the person, whether they are an unpaid volunteer or a worker, whether they work in a nursing home or in social services, who devotes their time and energy to the welfare and care of the elderly.
• Carer of the Year (adult care), sponsored by Synergy Dental
For anyone who cares and gives their time and their all – either voluntary of in the paid – for sector – for the benefit of others.
• Optician of the Year
For the optician, optometrist or ophthalmologist, either working in the NHS or private sector, who goes the extra mile for patients.
• Best of Health Judge’s Award, sponsored by Mac clinical research
This special award will be reserved for the individual – a winner of one of the other categories, who the judges feel has made the most outstanding contribution to the health of others.
• Nominate your unsung hero by e-mailing your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org or by downloading and filling in the form above and sending to:
Suzanne Steedman, Blackpool Gazette, Avroe House, Avroe Crescent, Blackpool, FY4 2DP.
• You will need to include your name and contact details, and the name and contact details of the person you are nominating, with a summary – no more than 300 words – of why the person deserves an award.