Glass injury horror at store

Raik Samad from Thoroughgoods in St Annes had to help his colleague who had cut his neck after falling through a glass door.
Raik Samad from Thoroughgoods in St Annes had to help his colleague who had cut his neck after falling through a glass door.
0
Have your say

A shop worker has praised paramedics for saving the life of a staff member who was seriously injured after crashing through a glass door.

Raik Samad said it was like “something out of a horror movie” when the man, covered in blood, walked into Thorougoods on St Albans Road, in St Annes.

The employee, who lives above the off-licence, slipped down the stairs and hit a glass door at the bottom while on his break, seriously injuring his neck.

Mr Samad said: “I heard a noise but I didn’t think it was anything major, and then a couple of minutes later he came downstairs.

“He had been on his break and he lives above the shop, and then he walked into the shop and he was full of blood.

“It was quite horrible, it looked like a horror movie.”

Ambulance and police officers were called to the scene on Saturday afternoon.

Mr Samad said his colleague had lost “a lot of blood”.

He said: “They (the paramedics) saved his life, it is amazing what they did.

“I rang the ambulance but he had already lost a lot of blood.

“I just saw a hole inside his neck and he said ‘help me, help me.’ He didn’t know what was going on.

“I took the phone and dialled 999.”

When the emergency services arrived they found the man with glass embedded in his neck.

He was rushed to Royal Preston Hospital with injuries described by police as “serious but not life-threatening”.

Mr Samad added: “He is much better now.”

A police spokeswoman confirmed officers had been called to the scene, but said there were no suspicious circumstances.

The spokeswoman said: “We were called to a St Annes off licence to reports a man had cut his throat.

“Officers attended the scene and found a man with serious neck injuries and administered first aid to stop the bleeding.

“The early indications were that he had slipped on the stairs and fallen through a glass door. He had glass in his neck and was taken to Royal Preston Hospital.

“The injury is not thought to be life-threatening and he confirmed it had been an accidental fall.”

Mr Samad said he expected his colleague to be discharged from hospital yesterday.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.