DCSIMG

Gas smell scare at hospital

Blackpool Victoria Hospital

Blackpool Victoria Hospital

  • by Katie Upton
 

MYSTERY surrounds a gas scare which caused parts of Blackpool Victoria Hospital to be evacuated.

National Grid engineers said there was no indication what caused a strong smell of gas reported around the Lawson Road area of Marton.

More than 20 residents contacted National Grid shortly after 3pm on Wednesday reporting a strong smell of gas.

But engineers sent to the residential road found no evidence of a leak.

Jeanette Unsworth of National Grid, which has responsibility for the gas network, said: “We did have about 20 calls, however when we reached the area there was no evidence of a leak.”

As a precautionary measure some patients and staff at the hospital, on Whinney Heys Road, were evacuated from the pathology lab, ear, nose and throat clinic, chest clinic and Parkwood Unit.

A spokesman for the hospital said: “A fire alarm in the pathology lab was manually activated at 3.28pm after gas was smelt.

“A hospital maintenance team attended the area and were able to confirm no gas was present.

“As a precaution the hospital brought in its own contractor and staff from National Grid also attended.

“The gas smell had no connection with the hospital and the fire brigade were not required as no gas was present.”

The areas were re-opened at 3.45pm.

Ms Unsworth added: “It was thoroughly investigated and there was a smell but we found no gas escape that could have caused it.

“We have had rare incidences where this has occurred.”

Blackpool Council said it had received no reports from residents and said it was unlikely the gas was as a result of roadworks at the junction of South Park Drive and Preston New Road.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page