A TEENAGER arrested in connection with a house fire which killed four young brothers and sisters has been released on bail.
Dyson Allen, 18, was arrested following the blaze at the bungalow in Freckleton.
Reece Smith, 19, four-year-old twin girls Holly and Ella and their brother Jordan, two, all died in the fire.
After being questioned by detectives throughout yesterday and today, Mr Allen was bailed to an address outside Lancashire and will report back to police at a later date.
Det Chief Insp Neil Esseen said: “I would like to reiterate we are still at the very early stages of a major investigation.
“The man arrested has been released on bail and further inquiries into how the fire started will continue.
“I would like to thank members of the public who have come forward with information so far but would urge anyone who knows something and hasn’t yet been in touch to contact the police.
“The family are being kept informed of our investigation and have asked us to express their thanks for the messages of support they have received at this difficult time.”
Police confirmed yesterday the fire began inside a wardrobe in one of the upstairs attic bedrooms at the house on Lytham Road, Freckleton.
The victims’ mother, Michelle Smith, 36, who has five other children, was led out of the house by firefighters.
The blaze took hold hours after the family held a party at the house to celebrate her birthday.
Post-mortem examinations carried out by a Home Office pathologist revealed each victim died as a result of the effects of inhaling smoke.
Mr Esseen added: “Obviously everybody is shocked, this is a tragic incident, the fact that it could be caused deliberately or recklessly is a major shock to them and we will give them all the support we can.”
The officer would not be drawn on whether the suspect in custody was a guest at the party held at the house on Saturday night.
He said the victims were in two separate attic rooms at the property, which suffered limited fire damage but extensive smoke damage. Smoke detectors were installed at the house but were not in working order.
Mr Esseen added that it “became clear” once fire investigators analysed the scene that the blaze was not accidental, though he confirmed no accelerant such as petrol had been used to start the blaze.