Five taken to hospital after flat blaze

Fire on Foxhall Road, Central Blackpool.
Fire on Foxhall Road, Central Blackpool.
0
Have your say

THREE men and two firefighters have been taken to hospital after a fire broke out in a flat.

Emergency crews rushed to the scene on Foxhall Road, central Blackpool, at 11.15pm yesterday to tackle the blaze and evacuate the occupants of two first floor flats.

The firemen from South Shore and Blackpool Fire Station used breathing apparatus, four hose reels and a triple extension ladder to bring the fire under control, with two suffering cuts when the fire caused glass to explode.

Two men aged 21 and 22-years-old were taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital along with a third man after they were led out of the flat suffering from smoke inhalation.

Steven Arnold, watch manager at South Shore Fire Station, said: “This fire is being treated as suspicious.

“The flats are both heavily smoke logged and there’s a lot of debris in there that needs to be excavated before an investigation can begin.

“Both flats are damaged and two firefighters were injured.

“One has glass in his eye and another has a laceration on his hand.”

Around 30 firefighters spent 45 minutes bringing the blaze under control and a joint investigation between Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service and Lancashire Police is being carried out.

John Pegler’s brother and cousin were both rescued from the flat.

The 22-year-old, who lives in one of the destroyed flats, was staying elsewhere at the time of the fire.

He said: “It’s not very good - I’ve lost everything.

“My brother was in the flat above the fire when it started.

“The fire alarm went off and he tried to get out but he couldn’t see because of all the smoke and had to be led down the stairs by the firemen.

“I’m not sure what’s going to happen now and I’m more concerned about what will happen to my brother and cousin.

“I haven’t been allowed in to see the damage, but my brother’s flat looks really bad.”