Firefighters deal with two kitchen fires

It is believed the fire was started deliberately.
It is believed the fire was started deliberately.

Fire officers were called out to deal with two kitchen fires over the weekend.

The first was to a first floor flat on Orchard Road, St Annes, where a cooker hob was destryed when a wooden chopping board had been left on top of the cooker and a ring accidentally switched on.

The kitchen suffered extensive smoke damage during the incident at 5pm on Saturday.

During the second incident a chip pan caught fire at a flat in Queensway court, Kiln house Lane, St Annes.

The occupant of the flat had put a towel over the burning pan and left the building. The chip pan had been forgotten and the fire left the flat smoke damaged at 1.50pm on Sunday.

A fire brigade spokesman said: “A smoke alarm is the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you and your family precious time to escape. Don’t leave chip pans unattended.”