Fire death inquest begins

Norman Hill's bungalow on Glenfield Avenue, where a fire broke out on Sunday afternoon.
Norman Hill's bungalow on Glenfield Avenue, where a fire broke out on Sunday afternoon.
0
Have your say

An inquest has been opened into the death of a pensioner who died in a house fire at the weekend.

Norman Hill, 81, is believed to have died of smoke inhalation after the blaze at his home on Glenfield Avenue in Bispham on Sunday.

Blackpool Coroner, Anne Hind, heard Mr Hill’s daughter noticed the bungalow was filled with smoke when she went to visit at around 2.20pm.

She called the ambulance and fire brigade, who found Mr Hill in the bedroom of the property.

He was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

Yesterday’s inquest heard a post mortem had been carried out, and it was likely that Mr Hill died from the smoke.

He was not burned in the fire. Mrs Hind adjourned the inquest for full reports.

After the fire, neighbours spoke of their shock at the incident, which saw three fire engines, three police cars and an ambulance at the scene.

Meanwhile, investigations are still ongoing into a separate fatal fire after a man’s body was found in South Shore on Monday night.

The man, who was believed to have been in his 40s, was found dead in his house on Miller Street after a neighbour reported he had not been seen for several days.

It is thought he died after a chip pan fire, which had then burned itself out.

A Lancashire Police spokeswoman said: “The investigation is still ongoing, we’re waiting for the pathologist’s results.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.