Family devastated by fire at self-built home

A FAMILY who witnessed the home they built devastated in a severe fire are now being cared for by relatives.

Neighbours have spoken of seeing clouds of smoke billowing from the house at Weeton Road, Wesham, while one young neighbour described the moment he raised the alarm.

An 88-year-old woman was rescued from the house after being alerted to the fire, which started in the roof.

Woman in hospital after blaze destroys home - Pictures

Contrary to earlier reports, the woman, who lived in the four-bedroomed bungalow with her daughter, son-in-law and their children, was not taken to hospital after the incident.

A 29-year-old woman neighbour was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation and asthma after going into the house to alert the woman to the fire and rescue two dogs.

A member of the family, who asked not to be named, said: "The family are all fine. The main thing is everyone is safe.

"My grandmother was brought to my house to stay with her great grandchildren after the fire and she is still her now. She is absolutely fine.

"It is devastating what has happened to the house, I think the family are still coming to terms with it really.

"It is upsetting because they actually built the house themselves, so they have lost not only their home but all their hard work has been wasted."

Ben Hogarth, 17 who lives next door to the house, was one of the first on the scene. He said: "I was home with my sister and we looked out of our front window and saw the smoke in the street, it was hanging quite low.

"My sister stayed inside while I went to see where it was coming from, and I saw that it was the neighbouring house.

Banging

"I ran round to the front of the house to see if there was anybody inside and saw another neighbour banging on the door.

"We could see an elderly lady through the window just sitting there and realised that she didn't know the house was on fire.

"We went in and got her but she was worried about her two dogs so we went back in to get them out. The fire engine arrived then so I just went back home."

Neighbour Alan Clayton said: "I was walking home from work and could smell smoke and then as I got closer, I realised that the air was thick with it.

"I couldn't see much really but I could tell the smoke was coming out of the roof and that it must be quite a serious fire.

"I heard that the old lady had gotten out safely, which is the main thing.

"The fire engines arrived soon after and they stayed until after 10pm, getting the fire under control.

"It is a dreadful shame for the family."