AN extra date has been added to this year’s World Firework Championships in Blackpool after the cancellation of last week’s display.
High winds forced organisers Marketing Blackpool to pull last Friday’s event, which should have seen French team Brezac Artifices setting the skies ablaze.
But now a new date – Sunday, September 30 – has been added to this year’s programme.
Natalie Wyatt, managing director of Marketing Blackpool, said: “I am very pleased we are able to make this announcement. It is very disappointing when you have to cancel any event but ultimately the health and safety of organisers and spectators is always our main concern and it would not have been safe to hold this event in last week’s high winds.
“We have held a number of discussions with all the agencies involved in the planning of this large scale event and feel it is only fair that Blackpool’s residents, businesses and our many thousands of visitors do get this additional night of fireworks.”
Up to 100,000 people visit Blackpool each week to watch the amazing master blasters light up the skies.
The competition will now see Howard & Sons Fireworks from Australia taking centre stage this Friday (around 8.30pm) and Brezac Artifices revealing their stunning French display on Friday, September 28.
The additional date of Sunday, September 30 will see British pyrotechnic experts Kimbolton Fireworks marking the close of the competition, when the winner will be announced.
Blackpool Council has been working with Marketing Blackpool to enable the extra date to be added.
Coun Graham Cain, cabinet member for tourism and culture, said: “I am delighted we are to get an extra night of fireworks.
“The World Championships is a huge event in Blackpool’s calendar and businesses and hoteliers alike will benefit from the extra revenue that will come into the town because of this.”