A gas explosion ripped through a home, blowing off a kitchen roof and shattering framing of a conservatory.
Neighbours called emergency services after hearing the explosion in a house on Kimberley Avenue, South Shore, at 1.44pm on Friday.
Fearing there were residents in the property three fire engines, two from St Annes and one from South Shore fire stations, were scrambled to the home and police were called.
A search of the property found nobody home.
Richard Edney, spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue, said: “One of the neighbours reported the explosion and they weren’t sure whether anybody was in the house.
“There was some sort of gas explosion in the kitchen that caused quite a bit of damage.
“The force of the explosion took the roof off the kitchen and also destroyed the frames of the conservatory.
“There was no actual fire.”
There was also some damage caused to the living room.
Police set up a corden to allow engineers to begin an investigation into the incident.
A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue added: “There is no indication at this time as to whether it was accidental or started deliberately.”