Green issues set to dominate inquiry

An artist's impression of the proposed Queensway homes development.

An artist's impression of the proposed Queensway homes development.

0
Have your say

ENVIRONMENTAL issues and fears about poor links with St Annes will fuel the second public inquiry into the controversial Queensway development.

Experts from Fylde Council met with Kensington Developments – who want to build 1,250 homes on the land – on Friday to outline the grounds on which next year’s public inquiry will be fought.

Meanwhile, a local councillor said residents close to the planned estate remained opposed to the development and the council said it is confident of winning the second battle to stop Kensington building.

But as The Gazette revealed last week, the decision of Fylde’s councillors to proceed with the inquiry – re-opened because of changes in Government legislation – went against top planning advice, which suggested Kensington now stand a good chance of winning.

A council spokesman said: “The issues haven’t changed - access into St Annes, the need for more homes in St Annes and the fact it is greenfield and part greenbelt land will be the main issues.

“Both sides have agreed those issues must be resolved.

“We came out of Friday’s meeting very happy.

“We await the inquiry with interest and we will be very keen to hear the proposed development’s arguments.

“We feel we’ve a strong case and we will put that professionally and forcefully.”

A protest group, the Queensway Environmental Defenders, were formed to fight the original application and although they are not expected to appear officially at the inquiry local residents will take to the stand.

Heyhouses ward councillor Nigel Goodrich said: “For the people I’ve spoken to it’s the location and wildlife which are the issues.

“It’s right on the upper edges of St Annes and I know some of my ward members are concerned that some of the roads like Singleton Road will become much busier.”