Emergency services were called after a gas main caught fire.
Police and fire crews went to Victoria Street in Lytham on Saturday evening, after reports a gas main had set alight.
Inspector Grant Smith said repairs were being carried out when a gas main was ruptured.
He said firefighters attended to tackle the blaze, which broke out about 8pm, and homes were not being evacuated.
A police cordon was put up between Freckleton Street and Preston Road.
Nobody was injured.
A message on Twitter from Electricity North West said: “u/grd cable fault has damaged gas supply which is alight, will be onsite asap, supply removed for 4hrs.”