Elliott, 2, saves family in fire drama

Photo: David Hurst'Becky Towne with her son Elliott of Chatsworth Avenue, Fleetwood, who saved the family house when he raised the alarm after the family washing machine set on fire.

Photo: David Hurst'Becky Towne with her son Elliott of Chatsworth Avenue, Fleetwood, who saved the family house when he raised the alarm after the family washing machine set on fire.

  • Two-year-old alert mum to fire in kitchen
  • Family manage to escape home before fire took hold
  • Fire brigade advises to never leave machines unattended
  • Urges everyone to install smoke alarms
0
Have your say

A Fleetwood mum has hailed her hero tot after he helped save the family from a blazing washing machine.

Becky Towne’s son Elliott, two, raised the alarm after the family’s washing machine set alight, and helped save the Chatsworth Avenue property from disaster on her birthday last week.

I’m really, really proud of him

Becky Towne

Becky, 31, said: “I’d just put the washer on and was cleaning in another room.

“Elliott shouted me and then came and grabbed me and made me look.

“I’m really, really proud of him.”

The mum-of-four added: “There was smoke coming out everywhere. I switched the machine off, closed the door, called the fire brigade and got my daughter Kaitlyn who was upstairs. My parnter Edwin was at work and son Declan and daughter Kizzie were out.

“It felt like it took ages but the Fire Brigade came really quickly. I was really shocked at first. Thinking about it now, another four or five minutes and the whole kitchen would’ve gone up.

“I was one for turning the machine on and going out or going to bed. I want people to know not to do that.

“I never thought anything like this would happen to us.

“But Elliott saved us.”

Fleetwood fire crew manager Nick Robinson said: “Elliott raised the alarm after he was playing in the kitchen.

“He saw what had happened and told his mum.

“They were very lucky.

“We got there quickly as we are about a mile from the property.

“It was contained to just the washing machine and the fire was caused by its electrics.

“There are a lot of consumables in the kitchen and we have been to fires like this where the entire kitchen has been destroyed.

“Fires in washing machines are quite prevalent – they only have a certain shelf life.

“Our advice is to make sure you are in the property when you turn these machines on, and never leave them unattended. This was an electrical fault that caused the fire.

“The other thing is smoke alarms – the family didn’t have any.

“Luckily Elliott was there to raise the alarm, but smoke alarms should always be fitted.”

Anyone who would like some advice or to have a smoke alarm fitted should call 08001691125.