Electrical fault led to Walkabout fire

0
Have your say

The blaze which ripped through Blackpool’s Walkabout bar was sparked by an electrical fault, fire investigators today revealed.

It is likely the fire started in an illuminated outdoor sign and flames then travelled undetected through a void inside the building on Queen Street.

Last week's blaze at Walkabout on Queen Street was sparked by an electrical fault.

Last week's blaze at Walkabout on Queen Street was sparked by an electrical fault.

Walkabout bosses have been inside to assess the damage, and today said they plan to open a “bigger and better” bar in October.

A Walkabout spokesman said part of the back of the building needed to be demolished following the fire which broke out at 5.30am on June 19,

The structure also needs re-roofing, reflooring, rewiring and replumbing. Once that work is completed the staff accommodation will be refitted and the bar will be updated and rebuilt.

Walkabout manager Nick Kyriacou said: “It’s a relief to know what caused the fire, but now it’s about focussing on repairing the damage and coming back bigger and better than ever. We can’t wait to re-open and party with everyone again.”

Last week's blaze at Walkabout on Queen Street was sparked by an electrical fault.

Last week's blaze at Walkabout on Queen Street was sparked by an electrical fault.

Up to 70 firefighters fought the blaze.

Richard Edney, at Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The fire was started in a void where there is no detection in place, which is why it could spread quickly through the rest of the building.

“This is not a fault at Walkabout as under building regulations there is no requirement for detection in that area.”

CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE GAZETTE’S PETITION FOR A DIRECT RAIL LINK BETWEEN BLACKPOOL AND LONDON.