Asbestos was dumped outside a Blackpool primary school.
Children from Langdale Free School in North Shore were kept inside as a precautionary measure after bags of the fibres, which can cause serious illness, were discovered on Tuesday.
The white asbestos was found in the back ginnel behind the school on Warbreck Drive at around 12.40pm by a neighbour, who immediately notified school staff.
Environmental Health teams from Blackpool Council were called in and children were kept inside the school’s two buildings, either side of Knowle Avenue, as a safety precaution.
The substance was removed by Blackpool Council teams on Wednesday lunchtime.
School principal Carol Stallard said: “A neighbour came to tell us somebody had dumped something like asbestos.
“We rang Environmental Health and followed their advice as regards safety of children.
“We’ve been told it’s not a danger, we are assured it’s not a problem. But safety always comes first.
“It is disappointing that people are so irresponsible that they would do this.”
The incident meant an infant nativity due to be staged at the school on Tuesday afternoon has been postponed until Thursday.