A WOMAN was left terrified and unable to sleep after receiving e-mails from her former-partner who had a restraining order not to contact her.
Preston Crown Court heard how James Templeton had been hauled before the courts in March last year for two offences of battery against his ex.
As part of his sentence he was told not to contact her.
But, less than three months, later the 42-year-old, of Milton Avenue, Layton, had broken the ban by sending her three e-mails in the early hours of one morning.
Kane Simons, prosecuting, said Templeton had appeared before Blackpool magistrates on March 16 for two offences of battery.
These were domestic violence matters against his partner.
As part of the sentence, a restraining order was made for the defendant not to directly or indirectly contact her, except through their solicitors.
However, in the early hours of June 5, Templeton sent her three e-mails.
The first one said: “Hi Julie, I don’t know what to say, but I miss you x.”
In another one, he added: “Hope all is well with you.”
The victim later told police in a victim personal statement how she had not slept properly since the e-mails were sent to her.
She said she was worried he might go around and harm her further.
Hugh Barton, defending, said the e-mails were rambling and perhaps sentimental messages sent in the early hours.
There was no element of threat or coercion. He told the court: “He’s clearly someone who’s looking forward and who has moved on since this pretty disastrous relationship.
“He runs his own business, employing four others.
“He travels throughout the country and to Northern Ireland, working long hours.”
Judge Norman Wright told Templeton he had deliberately flouted an order of the court in breaching the restraining order.
He added: “I accept those e-mails in content were not threatening, but the fact is you made contact at that time and your former partner’s view of you was such there were very serious concerns.”
The defendant was given eight weeks jail, suspended for two years, with two years supervision, after admitting the breach.
Judge Norman Wright said the order would now last for three years.