Dream House opens doors

Leigh Carradice with Halo-Grace Beswick and Koda Beswick, Babs Curits, Len Curtis and Heather Beswick with Peaches Beswick and (below) Mr Curtis after the fire.

Leigh Carradice with Halo-Grace Beswick and Koda Beswick, Babs Curits, Len Curtis and Heather Beswick with Peaches Beswick and (below) Mr Curtis after the fire.

0
Have your say

A CHARITY which gives sick children a holiday in Blackpool has re-opened after a devastating fire.

The first family were welcomed into Blackpool’s Donna’s Dreamhouse three weeks ahead of schedule and three months after an blaze which left the Chapel Street building needing major repairs.

Len Curtis surveys the damage caused by a fire at Donna's Dream House.

Len Curtis surveys the damage caused by a fire at Donna's Dream House.

Peaches Beswick, five, from Carnforth, who suffers from epilepsy was the first child to be taken in by the home after the fire.

She will be given the freedom of some of Blackpool’s main attractions, including the Tower, Zoo and Model Village, and was joined at the home by her siblings Koda, four, and Halo Grace, eight months.

Mum Heather Beswick, 22, said: “We were having some building work done at home and told about the work done here and I thought it was a great opportunity for Peaches.

“We’re all looking forward to having our first holiday together and it will be nice for them to go out each day in Blackpool.

“It was difficult at home because there’s not a lot for kids in Carnforth, but now we’re here, it’s good for everyone and every room looks nice.”

Click here to register with The Gazette website to enable you to comment on stories.

Peaches has seizures on a daily basis and the epilepsy has restricted her mobility and eyesight.

Dad Leigh Carradice, 24, added: “This will be a great rest for all of us.

“She is looking forward to getting in the jacuzzi because we don’t have a bath any more after it was taken away to make a wet room for her.”

Len Curtis, the owner of Donna’s Dreamhouse, said he feared the building would never open again after he assessed the damage caused by December’s fire.

He added: “This is a special moment.

“It’s great to welcome the first family in and it wouldn’t have been possible without the people who have donated so much money and time.

“But now it will go from strength to strength because both houses will be totally full by the end of the month. Requests for holidays have increased, so we are expecting to help more than the 1,600 families we helped last year.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.