PEOPLE power was seen at its best when a petition containing 3,000 signatures against the closure of a ‘life-line’ tram crossing was officially accepted by Blackpool Council.
Dozens of residents attended a full council meeting – ironically just hours after Lauderdale Avenue and Blandford Avenue tram crossing in Anchorsholme had re-opened in the afternoon.
The opening, however, has been met with trepidation by residents who say it is just a temporary reprieve until the council makes a final decision next week.
Frank Bilsborrow, 60, of Kelso Avenue, Anchorsholme, said: “We are grateful it’s open but it’s only temporary, it’s not a permanent job. It’s the executive meeting we are waiting for. Nothing has been decided yet.”
Susan Lees, 54, of Lauderdale Avenue, said: “Seventy-five per cent of people in that area are infirm or elderly.
“If they can’t use the crossing to get to the health centre, it’s too far to walk so they have to get a taxi.”
The crossing is due to be shut as part of the £100m upgrade of the tramway.
The former Tory-led council was forced to rethink an earlier decision to close the crossing following uproar from the community last year. Blackpool’s executive, in July 2010, said a full prohibition traffic order was not “necessary” and opted to keep it open.
The crossing is due to be shut as part of the £100m upgrade of the tramway - although a pedestrian right of way will remain in place
FOR MORE ON THIS STORY SEE THURSDAY’S GAZETTE