Dog dies in Blackpool house fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A man who woke up in the middle of the night to find his house on fire jumped to safety from his bedroom window.

A dog found at the scene died despite attempts from firefighters to resuscitate it.

It took three fire crews to tackle the blaze, which started in the living room of the property on Ingleway Avenue, Layton, in the early hours of Sunday.

Firefighters said the man was alerted by a smoke alarm in the property after a suspected electrical fault triggered the fire at around 3.45am.

A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue said: “It was a serious fire in the lounge.

“One occupant managed to escape via a bedroom window after he was alerted by working smoke alarms.

“We are investigating the fire but early indications are pointing to an electrical fault.

“The house was severely smoke-logged and we used four breathing apparatus and a hose reel.

“Two crews from Blackpool and one from South Shore attended.

“Sadly there was one dog found deceased at the scene.

“There was severe fire damage to the living room and severe smoke damage to the ground floor, with moderate smoke damage to the rest of the property.”

The man was taken to hospital as a precaution but was not seriously hurt.

Nobody else was in the property at the time.