Three bailed over shed blaze

Fire in a barn on Normoss Road, Normoss
Fire in a barn on Normoss Road, Normoss
0
Have your say

A huge blaze in a shed which was only extinguished after it was doused with several hundred gallons of water is being treated as arson.

Three boys have been bailed over the blaze at the Garstang Reclamation stonemasonry yard at Normoss Road, Normoss, yesterday morning.

Two crews from Blackpool and one from Bispham took more than an hour to tackle the fire, which destroyed the building along with machinery and storage materials found inside.

Watch manager Mark Warwick, from Blackpool fire station, said: “This was quite a serious fire, the building was destroyed.

“There were two appliances with two jets going on there for roughly an hour.

“We had to put a large volume of water on it.”

Police also attended the scene at around 8.50am and three boys - aged 12, 13 and 14 - were questioned in police custody over the blaze yesterday afternoon.

They have been bailed until October 9.

Investigations are ongoing into how the fire started.

Eyewitness Louise Tomlinson, 22, of Heron Way, Normoss, said: “I was on my way to work when I saw there was a lot of smoke.

“I slowed down to see if anyone was injured, then I saw a barn a bit off the road with a large amount of smoke coming from it.

“Pretty much the whole barn was on fire and the flames were a couple of metres high.

“A few fire engines turned up and they started looking for somewhere to get water then it was out in a few minutes.”

No-one from Garstang Reclamation was available for comment.

Crews from Blackpool fire station also attended a kitchen fire yesterday afternoon.

The blaze was started by an unattended cooker and caused smoke damage to the kitchen and an adjoining hallway. However, the house’s occupants were able to escape to safety after being alerted by a smoke alarm.

Two crews from Blackpool fire station were called to the scene, in Airedale Avenue, off Whitegate Drive, at around 2pm.

Watch manager Warwick added: “We want to stress the importance of having a working smoke alarm in the house.

“The alarm really helped them and they got out at an early stage.”

To get a free smoke alarm delivered and installed in your house call freephone 0800 1691125.