RESIDENTS were today being warned to ensure they dispose of deadly asbestos safely.
It follows on from an incident where the toxic material was dumped in a Blackpool back alley.
People living in Bournemouth Road and Boscombe Road, South Shore, were shocked when asbestos sheeting was tipped into the alley behind their homes overnight on Monday.
Coun Fred Jackson, cabinet member with responsibility for waste, said: “First of all, fly tipping is illegal, regardless of the materials that are being dumped, and it is not a safe way of removing waste.
“Asbestos is a hazardous material, and we have systems in place that can help people to remove it from their gardens in small amounts. To do this, they should come along to the Household Waste Recycling Centre and collect some special bags to collect it up and bring it back to Bristol Avenue to be disposed of safely.
“People or companies who have larger quantities will be helped to find a specialist building contractor who are properly licensed by the Health and Safety Executive to take the hazardous waste away.”
Squires Gate ward councillor Douglas Green believes the closure of the St Annes tip by Lancashire County Council last year has led to more flytipping in South Shore.
He said: “Ever since the tip in St Annes was closed, I have been expecting there to be more fly tipping.”
It was estimated around 40 per cent of the waste taken there came from Blackpool residents.
Click here to read how The Gazette broke the story: